Copyright 2012.
All rights reserved.
Returning to the USA
What Will Adults Need to Get Back Into the United States?
1.  For adults (anyone age 16 and older) returning to the U.S. by land, U.S. Customs will require any
one of the following:
•  A United States Passport
•  A United States Passport Card
•  An Enhanced Drivers License (this is a Customs-approved Drivers License that contains a
radio-frequency microchip for unique identification—only certain states have these)
•  Military Identification Card
•  Trusted Traveler Card (specifically, a NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST card)
•  U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
•  An Enhanced Tribal Card
•  Form I-872 American Indian Card

As you can see from the list above, for most of those age 16 and older at the Newhouse Family
Reunion, the most likely document we will need would be a U.S. Passport or Passport Card.

What Will Children Need to Return to the United States?

•  U.S. Children ages 15 and under need only present an original birth certificate or copy of their birth

Important Notice:  If only one parent is with the child, U.S. Customs recommends the following:
”Due to the increasing incidents of child abductions in disputed custody cases and as possible victims of
child pornography, Customs and Border Protection strongly recommends that unless the child is
accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a
child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, or friends, a note signed by both
parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my
son/daughter. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so."

•  They also suggest that this note be notarized.

•  Customs officers may not ask to see this note, but if they do, and you don’t have it, you may be
detained until the circumstances of the child are fully assessed.

More Useful Information from U.S. Customs:
The following U.S. Customs website, contains the information most people will need regarding what
you can and cannot bring back into the U.S. from Canada, what forms need to be filled out to declare
what you are bringing back, information you need to know if you take new electronic equipment or
cameras into Canada, and other information.  Here is the U.S. Customs Information website:   

As you can see from the information here and on the "Entering Canada" page, neither adults
nor children need a passport to enter Canada, but everyone age 16 and over will likely need a
Passport to return to the United States.